Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2001, 08:05 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Dusy/Ershim over Labor Day

Well, after postponing it in June (did Rubicon instead) I managed to get to the Dusy this past weekend. To call this an impromptu trip would be an understatement. About 4 days before the holiday weekend I really started jones'n to get out of town and go on a trail ride. Half joking, I said to my dad that we should do the Dusy and he said sure before I got the last word out. My older brother ('99 TJ) already had non-refundable airline tickets so he couldn't join us (I didn't rub it in too much ). Anyway, my dad rustled up my younger brother to ride with him and I actually was able to get my wife to ride with me (only her 3rd Jeep trip ever, I only had to promise to let her out if it got too "scary" ).

Anyway, aside from having the Sidekick map and USGS maps (geeky engineers!), I did a quick review of Matt Osburn's writeup and jbjeep's writeup of the trail. Both of them had good info and pictures. I brought my digital but didn't take but a few non-wheeling pics. I'll scan and post a few of my dad's pics if any of them turned out.

Moving right along, the drive from the San Fernando Valley to our motel in Clovis on Friday night took right about 4 hours or so. Following Matt's lead, we stayed at the Rodeo Lodge. Although it didn't look like much from the outside, all the rooms were recently renovated and quite plush inside, including a nice kitchenette with stove, fridge and microwave along with about 60 cable channels! After the drive, a few cold ones, some Carls Puker and Sportscenter was a nice way to wind down.

Saturday morning we stopped on the way out for some gas (only $1.17/gal. ), picked up last minute groceries and drove the hour or so to Shaver lake. There, we topped off (about $1.75/gal) and picked up some bait. Another 45 minute or so drive later we made it to Dinky Creek where we got a fire permit and even topped off one more time ($2.09/gal from an above ground tank at a mom & pop store). Finally, we made it onto the trail at about 2 o'clock.

The trail begins by crossing over a dam with a dropoff of 1000' according to the Sidekick map. Did I mention that there was no guardrail and my wife is a chicken? Anyway, after winding through a few trees you almost immediately come to Chicken Rock. Although the steep climb looks exciting, with the solid traction it isn't really much more than driving up a VERY steep driveway. After a lot of narrow trail through the trees (similar to the Rubicon just past Gatekeeper) you hit the toughest section of the trail, Thompson Hill. Although it was fun and you defintely had to choose your line carefully at times, it was very doable. What makes it interesting is that you climb 2000' in less than a half a mile. We did run into one group of guys who had to winch a few spots and a different group which had a blown up rear driveshaft (he turned around). After reaching the top it was about another 3 miles of decent sized boulders to Thompson Lake where we camped for the night. Overall we drove about 11 miles the first day.

The next day we headed to 11 miles Ershim Lake where we camped Sunday night. The trail was more of a mix of tight trees, large rocks and a few mellow drives through meadows. At Ershim Lake we drowned some bait successfully avoiding any fish. Although these are good fishing lakes fishermen we aren't.

The 3rd and final day was more of the same type of driving up until the end where there are some rather large boulders to work your way down and through. You definitely start feeling the effects of the altitude as you cross the over 10,000 ft. high summit.

After airing back up we left the trail at 3:45. The drive home was slightly marred by my dad's fuel pump acting up in the heat (165k miles on the pump) and some traffic coming back into L.A.) Still, I was back home unloading the Jeep by 9:30 Monday night.

Overall, I'd say that the Dusy/Ershim is both similar and different to the Rubicon in many ways. Both have a similar look, though the Dusy is up 3000 or so feet higher (colder at night). The Rubicon has tougher sections (Little & Old Sluice) but the Dusy has some steeper and taller stuff where a bit more clearance and lockers make it nice. On the Rubicon I've seen plenty of open rigs make it with a little work and only saw one on the Dusy with a lot of work and winching. The "trail" section of the Dusy is nearly double that of the Rubicon so patience, stamina and gas are more important. That said, I still had plenty of gas to get back to Clovis after the trip.

Overall, I'd say that the Dusy was definitely a fun trip that I'd gladly do again. It is about half the drive from L.A. and about half (or less) the people on the trail. If you're into fishing there are plenty of hotspots (so I hear) for some good eating Trout. Defintely a good time!

Jeff
Old 09-05-2001, 08:51 PM

Hmm..

Jeff would you say that the rubicon something you should do for this?

R/
William
Old 09-06-2001, 12:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William...:
Hmm..

Jeff would you say that the rubicon something you should do for this?

R/
William[/quote]

Huh? I think you're missing a few words. Either that or it is so late that my brain isn't seeing them.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 09:16 AM

I meant to say is the Rubicon a must do before this trail, or do you think that it is something doable on it's own with out the a priori experience?

R/
William Karstens
Old 09-06-2001, 10:09 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William:
I meant to say is the Rubicon a must do before this trail, or do you think that it is something doable on it's own with out the a priori experience?

R/
William Karstens[/quote]

Oh, okay. The Rubicon is not a must do before the Dusy WRT experience or the like. If you're asking me which one I'd rather run first it'd be the Rubicon for a few reasons, notably it's history and beauty.

As for running the Dusy, a lift, oversized tires, necessary trail gear and a few buddies and you're set. A rear locker, better yet F&R, and good clearance under the belly will make for a more enjoyable trip

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 10:17 AM

Well, I'm going to be there soon. F&R ARB, 4.10's and a flat skid. I'm trying to talk my self out of new springs (4") and 35's for next year. But so far logic says that I should do that..

I'm just wondering if next year I'll be up for some harder trails and your opinion of the experience level required for it. It's not something I'd pack out and go on my own to do. I'm hoping soon I can do the hammers too, only after I do a ride along if I can find a spot on day. But I imagine that 33x10.50's that are 1/2 worn aren't really that good for a hammer trail. So I may have to wait for tires (big or small).

R/
William Karstens
Old 09-06-2001, 11:18 AM

William,

I'd say you're definitely ready to tackle the Rubicon and/or Dusy right now. You'll be even more capable after your new mods. You don't necessarily have to be real tall if you have the proper skids in place. My brother walked right through the Little Sluice on only 31's and ARB's F&R. The most important thing for running these trails, the Dusy in particular due to its added length and remoteness, is to be prepared to handle breakdowns. A welder in the group is really a nice thing to have.

As for the Hammers, I've only walked it and watched the competitions there. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive it in the near future

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 11:22 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Hi William!

Hey, I don't think you should do either of those two trails (Rubicon or Dusy). Why? Well, based on my visit to the Rubicon, and Jeff's comments on the Dusy, there are TOO MANY wrong lines to take. It could turn into a 3 or 4 week adventure!

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 09-06-2001, 02:07 PM

Stu, did you know I have a new web site?

You should take a look!

R/
William