Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-05-2001, 08:37 PM
Banned

Should Control Arms Do This ? (1998 TJ)

I'm wondering if you should be able to "twist" stock control arms? I know they have rubber bushings, and are softer than some aftermarket. I don't have super human strength, but my upper control arms will twist a small amount by hand. I didn't want to remove the whole arm if I didn't have to (I have plenty of other things to do this weekend), so I just crawled underneath to see if pulling on anything allowed movement. The upper/rear control arms will move a little. Is this an indication of worn bushings

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 07-06-2001, 05:52 AM

Yes. The beauty of stock control arms is how much they flex by themselves. If only longer control arms could be made so cheaply, but flex so well. Their flexing seems to prevent the harshness on control arm brackettes and such as well.

Either that or yours are on their way to catostrophic failure and you are going to die in a fiery crash on the freeway. At least, that's the JU answer.
Old 07-06-2001, 07:08 AM

stock rear uppers

I still run stock rear upper and they do twist with verry little effort.

then again mine might be ready to fail too

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 07-06-2001, 07:16 AM
Banned

I knew they were softer, I just had no idea that they were that easy to twist, by hand. Well, here's crossing my fingers that the next drive isn't my last.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 07-06-2001, 08:45 AM
Administrator

So, the next time you hear some idiot snivelling about how his stock control arms don't flex, whip the spare one out from behind the seat and show him just how flexible they are.

They are actually a marvel of engineering design. Very strong for their size, lightweight, very flexible torsionally, yet very rigid longitudinally. Able to withstand hundreds of thousands of compressive and extension cycles without failure. To top it all off, they probably cost DC in the neighborhood of 3.00 dollars each delivered.

What DC does with a bit of engineering and skill, the aftermarket suspension companies can only accomplish with sheer brute strength. Nary an engineer in the bunch. Least ways not any that understand the finer points of suspension travel.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you

Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:42 PM

Amen mrblaine, a stock Jeep is incredible, some of the highly modded ones are unbelievable.