Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Reggae

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I just got a Tire Pressure Monitoring System from Summit.

Four independent sensors with wireless transmitters go inside each wheel. The central receiver integrated display module unit is installed in-cab.

The sensors are numbered and color coded. Color valve tag rings are also included for easy identification.

Pressure can be displayed in psi or kPa. The temperature - in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit. The display also indicates what mode the system is on, and the status of the sensor battery. The information is displayed one sensor at a time.

The display module has a vehicle pictogram, indicating which tire information is currently displayed. It can rotate through the tires clockwise (looking from the top), or always display the information on the tire with the lowest pressure value.

Through the control panel, manual threshold settings can be programmed for low pressure and high temperature, after which the system would alarm driver (10 seconds audible warning every 7 minutes, plus back light of the LCD display for 25 seconds at the first occurrence). One can also assign, which sensor is located at what corner of the vehicle (useful for tire rotations), and make the system learn new sensors (when a sensor or the display module needs to be replaced).

According to the specifications the sensors are capable of monitoring pressure in the range of 0 to 73 psi, and temperature in the range of -104 to +257 Degrees Fahrenheit. Listed accuracy for monitored pressure is plus/minus 1.5 psi.

The sensors do not send information to the display module continuously. They are activated by pressure and/or temperature change inside the tire.

The sensors are mounded on the rim with hose clamps. They recommend to position the sensor opposite to the tire valve, and the hose-clamp screw, with the included counterweight, near the tire valve. The sensors are powered by battery, that should last 5 years.

The only wiring that needs to be done inside the vehiicle to install the system is hook up the included power cable. There are three wires: black for ground, red for +12VDC battery power, and Orange to the vehicle ACC (power interrupted by ignition key).

I plan to install the system in my jeep, and play with it. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:59 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Neat Sergey,

Please be sure to keep us posted on how this perfroms for you.

Frank
Old 11-12-2003, 02:10 PM

Seen this. Think its an excellent idea! Let us know how it works.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:12 PM

Can you guess what the chances are for you to crush a sensor if you are wheeling aired down in a rocky area, or perhaps if you throw a bead and lose all air in your tire?

Just wondering because it is hard to tell from the pics how flat the sensors are.

How much do replacement sensors cost?
Old 11-12-2003, 02:27 PM

Hey, where's the McDonalds bag?
Old 11-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Reggae

I would guess the chances to crush a sensor are low. But, I intend to try.

Sensor size (from the owner's manual) is 101 mm x 26 mm x 44 mm. It is recommended to "position the Sensor/Transmitter in the lowest area of the drop center well".

I am getting bedlocks soon. This is where I'll have the sensors installed.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject

I am getting bedlocks soon. This is where I'll have the sensors installed.
Bed locks? To keep the women in or out?
Old 11-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
Bed locks? To keep the women in or out?
To keep the bed in place, so it doesn't work its way all around the room.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:54 PM

Quote:
To keep the bed in place, so it doesn't work its way all around the room.
You're using it wrong!
Old 11-12-2003, 02:54 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

What are you going to do if a few other guys on the trail have this and the pressure readings transmit more than 15 feet? I like the ides, but does each unit come on a different frequency? (within reason)
Old 11-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Reggae

Each sensor has its own signature [code]. Even though they all work on the same frequency, there is a way to tell the difference. That's why you have to program new sensors in, when you get a replacement.

I do not have details on the collision resolution method used in this system. I bet it is not a problem, as the sensors transmit only when conditions inside the tire change ? not all the time, therefore collisions are rare.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Reggae

There was a question about the pricing. APC does not sell products direct; all questions about pricing should be directed to dealers. To locate a local dealer, you may call 1-800-594-4272, and speak with customer service department.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help on the question.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:51 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
Each sensor has its own signature [code]. Even though they all work on the same frequency, there is a way to tell the difference. That's why you have to program new sensors in, when you get a replacement.

I do not have details on the collision resolution method used in this system. I bet it is not a problem, as the sensors transmit only when conditions inside the tire change ? not all the time, therefore collisions are rare.
Good enough for me.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
I had a sample set of these 4 years ago and crushed 2 the first trip out. Just watch out for running to low and hitting rocks at high speed.
Kory
Old 11-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Hmmm.....interesting frequency. I could have some fun with that. Seems as though they are mooching some frequency spectrum from the 420-450 Mhz ham band. Oh yeah, I've got a few transmitters that will put out 50+ watts on that frequency. I bet I could really scramble your receiver's ability to detect any flat tire!

Old 11-12-2003, 08:01 PM
The king of shotgun debate

If anyone has an interest, here is a similar system to what Sergey picked up on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2441194248

It has a Buy Me Now price of $149.99 and has 23 hours left. I think this is the same system that is on my wife's new car.

Frank