Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Did I screw up?

On an Ebay whim, I bought a new Lincoln 175 HD for $405. To be honest, I didn't think I'd win it, but oh well ...

I've been using a Readywelder for "non-life" endangering welds, but my '65 Mustang project requires that I get a welder better suited for shop use (i.e. doesn't take 20 minutes to setup and put away). I have a buddy on my hockey team who is a welder by trade who'll I'll be looking to to teach me the ways of the force (I haven't told him this yet ).

Anyway, any thoughts on this welder or would I be better off turning it over on Ebay?

p.s. by "welder", I'm referring to the machine, not the operator. My welds thus far with the Readywelder speak volumes to that.

Quote:
The WELD-PAK 175HD from Lincoln Electric lets you take command of those projects that require some extra muscle. With its attention-getting 175 amps of output, this 208/230-volt wire feeder welder is powerful enough to weld mild steel up to 3/16 In. thickness with gas-shielded MIG wire and 1/2 In. with .045 In.nershield? NR?-212 self-shielded flux-cored wire. Best of all, the PRO-MIG 175 is essentially ready to plug in and use - just add a supply of shielding gas for MIG welding on mild steel. If you want to weld with .035 In. self-shielded flux-cored wire on mild steel then say no more - everything you need is in the box!

? 30-175 amps output.
? Welds mild steel up to 1/2 In. thick with .045 In. Innershield NR-212 self-shielded flux-cored wire (sold separately).
? Just add a cylinder of shielding gas to MIG weld mild steel.
? Comes complete with everything needed to weld mild steel
? Operates on 208V or 230V single-phase power
? Gun trigger safety feature keeps welding wire electrically "cold" until trigger is pressed.
? Compact, portable, lightweight and easy-to-use
? Three year warranty on parts and labor. (90 days warranty on gun and cable).
? Welding procedure chart for mild steel is conveniently located inside the wire feed section door making voltage and wire feed selection a snap
Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

i have this welder,a nd have been using it for a couple of years with great satisfaction.
you got a good price considering they dont get you on shipping.

for the non professional with no need for more than 30% duty cycle, it will do just fine.
IMHO
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-09-2007, 04:58 PM

I think you got an excellent welder for the $, should do just fine.

Go to Harbor Freight & pick up one of those cheepo welder carts & call it a day. IIRC, I picked one up for ~$35-$40 on sale.

Alot easier to move around that way, plus has provisions to add a mix bottle to the cart too.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
you got a much better price than i paid for my lincoln 180c. the way i walk around and scratch my head between welds ensures i will never bump the limits of my duty cycle. so far i have been able to weld anything i need with it with one pass.

sounds like yours is much like mine. have fun with your new sparkle wrench!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Tim,

The 180C replaced the 175, hence the liquidation of the model line. From what I've read, your 'C' has infinte instead of stepped voltage and is supposed to have an improved wire delivery method. You're not going to find a 180C for $400. Heck, the 180T (tapped) is a lot more than that.

I thought of picking up the 180C for $717 off Ebay but decided that my money would be better spent elsewhere (parts/engine costs for the Mustang are adding up). Apparently I got lucky, but maybe next time I should research this stuff a bit more before hitting 'bid'.

Joe, I saw the cart at HF on the way home but at $39.99 thought it may have been kind of flimsy looking. After getting home and seeing pretty much the same type name brand carts for going upwards of $200, that HF one looks pretty good.