Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Hide your email address from spammers

Article from Yahoo Tech Blog

Mon Apr 7, 2008 9:15PM EDT

I'm always amazed at how many people volunteer their email address on forums and comments sections. I suppose no one told them spammers use programs that crawl the Web in search of email addresses, or perhaps they just don't care. As a site owner, I often hesitate about posting my email address publicly, but sometimes it's inevitable.

I've used different tricks to deter spammers, like using graphics, contact forms, or spelling out the entire email address (yourname [at] yahoo.com), but somehow, those accounts still manage to get spam. You're probably familiar with CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) since most websites with logins and forms use them, but until now I haven't seen one for individual email addresses.

The folks at Carnegie Mellon University have created an application called Mailhide to help you hide your email address. Users have to enter their email address and copy a piece of code that displays a partial email address (yah...@yahoo.com) wherever it's posted. If a person really wants to find out what the entire email address is, they'll have to solve one of the two CAPTCHAs the application displays. HTML code is also provided for website owners.

The words can be hard to read, but once solved, the visitor is taken to a page that shows the complete email address (here's an example). It's a bit tricky, but it keeps spammers from collecting your email address.

I tried it and it is pretty neat. I entered the following bogus email address joeblow@yahoo.com and this is what I was given to paste into threads http://mailhide.recaptcha.net/d?k=01...8aEEcYKx6L1Fw=

To make it more explicit to the reader, you could turn it into something like Click to see my email address

Of course, all this hinges on Carnegie Mellon being able to defeat hackers since they would now have your email address.