Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed Enter at your own risk. This is the land of political discussions, jokes, and nonsense posts.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Reggae

Question Espresso and Crema Coffee

I conned my company into buying an espresso machine. Damn, it makes nice tasting coffee.

Any tips from those who know? The best grinds to select? Or is it better to grind by yourself? I just got some random EuroCoffee Vanilla Bean Ground. Tastes very good for a decaf. Why decaf, I am afraid I'll caffeinate myself into oblivion.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:12 PM

Having lived in Costa Rica for a few years I prefer Costa Rican coffee. Like to to grind my own, seems to be fresher that way. I also like all the caffeine I can get, so can't help with the decaf stuff
Old 05-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Reggae

What non-decaf would you recommend?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:26 PM

Well I like the cafe Britt brand, tostado oscuro. As the label says "Nuestro tueste oscuro tiene un projfundo sabor, con un cuerpo exceptional. Los cafes seleccionados de las tierras altas son cuidadosamente tostados de manera que los aceites que contienen el sabor salen a la superficie de los granos.

In ingles, translates to "makes a fine cup of expresso"
Old 05-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
What non-decaf would you recommend?
I'm partial to a good Columbia Supremo, closer to strong than mild in strength.

Another good one is a Tanzania Peaberry. Don't buy into that Jamaican Blue Mountain horsepuckey, just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's outstanding in the flavor department.

Occasionally I enjoy a nice cup of Indian Monsooned. Quite the interesting story on how that one came about.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:41 PM

I used to be a custom ground whole bean snob but stumbled onto a cheapish pre-ground canned coffee that I think is exceptional. Cafe La Llave. Its ground as an espresso but I use it in a regular drip machine... pretty strong

Its available in most grocery stores, I get it at Albertsons.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

i am partial to the kirkland coffee at costco. i have tried many others, but find that most"fair" priced coffees are burned beans, or downright bitter.
try the kirkland. you havenothing to lose but about 6 bucks
i'll bet you like it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 05-23-2005, 10:45 PM

I would try to find a peet's coffee shop, grab a tasting booklet and experiment.

Personally, I like italian roast for expresso. It is mild, and has a little less caffine than some of the lighter roasts.

IMO ground within a minute or two of brewing is worth it.

the costco stuff isn't bad, I drink it most every morning, but it is worth it once and a while to spring for 1/2 a pound of really yummy beans from peets.

http://www.peets.com/selector_coffee...e_selector.asp
Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Just ran across this. I am a bit of a coffee guy.

What machine do you have in the office? Do you have a grinder?

To make really good espresso, you need to grind immediately before brewing. You may have a superauto that does that for you.

If the one poster above is talking about Lavazza, that is a good coffee. That and Illy are two of the big names. If you want some really good espresso, get some Black Cat from www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

I have a Slyvia and Rocky from Rancilio and using the above coffee, I can make an amazing shot of espresso. There is a bit of a learning curve, but I can make better coffee than most cafes you will go to.

-Bart
Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Reggae

We've got Capresso 121.01 Ultima.

No grinder. What kind of grinder would you recommend?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
We've got Capresso 121.01 Ultima.

No grinder. What kind of grinder would you recommend?
I am fond of these. They work well, ergonomic, reasonably lightweight, and have a pleasing color.

http://www.smartbargains.com/go.sb?p...=178&deptid=74
Old 08-08-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
I am fond of these. They work well, ergonomic, reasonably lightweight, and have a pleasing color.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
I would try to find a peet's coffee shop, grab a tasting booklet and experiment.

the costco stuff isn't bad, I drink it most every morning, but it is worth it once and a while to spring for 1/2 a pound of really yummy beans from peets.

http://www.peets.com/selector_coffee...e_selector.asp
I don't drink much coffee, but I have a coffee-a-holic friend that swears by Major Dickason's blend from Peet's.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

Blaine made a funny! Good one. I have a yellow & black myself, but those are probably better.

I really like mine, the Rancilio Rocky Doserless. Here are some good pics and comparison: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.electricmills.shtml

This thing is almost pro-grade. I guess the ultimate home grinder is pretty much the Mazzer Mini shown on that same page. The Solis Maestro Plus might get you by, but the grinder really does make a difference. I recommend at least this one for really good espresso: http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/mdf.cfm

WLL is a great company to buy from, that's where my equipment is from. Note that they do have a refurb Rocky right now: http://www.wholelattelove.com/Rancil...ss.cfm?isNTN=1

Hi, my name is Bart and I am a coffee geek. Speaking of which, that is where the real nuts go: www.coffeegeek.com

-Bart
Old 08-14-2005, 07:47 PM

Coffee nerd

Once I saw the light of the Melita basket filter, I have never turned back.

My current beef with commercial coffee makers is that the water they brew with is too hot and makes the coffee too bitter.

Being a statistics and designed experiments nerd.... I fooled around with coffee brands, coffee amount, and brewing water temp....

Once you get the water temp right, everything else immediately straightens out..... but it is the #1 factor to really being able to tell the difference between turd coffee and the good stuff.

Of course, you can't easily set this parameter on most off the shelf coffee makers.... so you have to "roll your own" with the little Melita basket.

Get an instant read thermometer and shoot for 165 F water. You will never turn back.

John