Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-29-2002, 11:38 AM

Porche & Big Bear

Did anyone else see today's LA Times Highway section?

Porche is apparenly donating money to upkeep offroad trails to promote their upcoming SUV.

They are going to be paying to fix soil erosion, and regrade Clark's Grade up in big bear.

(Have we offroaded this by the way? There was no map in the Times, so I couldn't tell).

Anyway, I thought it was fairly cool that Porche would do this, even though it is for self promotion reasons.

Are there other auto companies that contribute money this way? I know most of the truck builders donate to tread lightly. But have any worked to keep specific trails open?

For example, since they use it for marketing, does Chrysler fight to keep the rubicon open?

Just wondering.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
That's cool! As for Clark's Grade, I wouldn't exactly call it four wheeling, but I like this news.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:51 PM

Clarks Grade is an old wagon/miners road that the adopt a trail and OHV volunteer group has been slowly re-tracing. They have spent the better part of the past 2 years searching for old grade and survey markers so that they could accurately plot the road out. I am not sure if a map or even allowed access is available yet or not - Greg Hofman could probably answer that. I believe that the ultimate goal is to get it on the Register of Historic Landmarks but don't quote me on that.

I was aware that Porsche was contributing money - that road will probably be the extent of what it can do in the dirt so given that and its historical significance - the choice makes sense.

Now as far as other manufacturers being involved, this is something that I believe that Jeep would have served itself well in doing and in doing so, maybe help provide a balanced viewpoint about what its vehicles are capable of and what their owners do with them. For some reason, they have not gotten really involved. I think that adopting the Rubicon would have been a natural for them but they haven't done anything like that which I am aware of. There are however alot of motorcycle manufacturers represented in the adopt a trail effort up in Big Bear and I would assume in other locals as well. Why they are involved and 4 wheeled vehicle manufacturers are not is an interesting question.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:43 PM

Big Bear is just the begining. Porsche has started a long term program, coast to coast to restore many roads and trail in the promotion of the Cayenne. Yup, I hope Jeep and the "Big 3" jump on board with similar programs.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
There are however alot of motorcycle manufacturers represented in the adopt a trail effort up... Why they are involved and 4 wheeled vehicle manufacturers are not is an interesting question.
I would venture a guess that MC manufacturers are involved in trail preservation/restoration since they are the ones making dirtbikes, quads, some snowmobiles, jetskis, etc. Purpose-built vehicles for off road use only, while passenger vehicle manufacturers realize that a very small portion of their off-road capable products are actually going to be used off-road.

Just an idea.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:09 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Does anyone have an on-line link to the LA Times article concerning Porsche's involvement in preserving the Big Bear Trail?

I'd like to read it, but more importantly I would like to forward it to my friends over at The Trail Keepers Foundation.

Seems to me there might be a good fit between Porsche and their marketing efforts and the good works being done by Trail Keepers Foundation. Maybe they can get together for their mutual interest on this?

If anyone has an interest in learning more about The Trail Keepers Foundation here is a link.

http://www.trailkeepers.org/

Get a hold of Tim Retting at tim@trailkeepers.org if you would like more info on the organization.

Thanks in advance for any help on finding this article.

Frank

PS: It is the Trail Keepers folks who are running the ERoCC (Eastern Rock Crawling Championship) http://www.jrocc.com/jrocc/erocc2002.nsf series here in Jellico, TN, bringing west coast style rock crawling east of the Mississippi River for the first time at this level.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
[B]Does anyone have an on-line link to the LA Times article concerning Porsche's involvement in preserving the Big Bear Trail?
Here is the text from the artical. The link is down for a couple of hours but as soon as its up i will post it.

In the LA Times today

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remaking the Grade
A new fund from Porsche will help repair original path to Big Bear Lake.

By JOHN O'DELL, TIMES STAFF WRITER

A volunteer effort to repair Clark's Grade, a 142-year-old dirt track that once was the only way up to Big Bear Lake, is the first beneficiary of a grant from Porsche Cars of North America under its new Cayenne Crossing program.

Porsche created the program to promote its entry this year into the sport utility vehicle market with the Cayenne and will donate funds to the restoration of historic roads and off-road trails across the country during the next few years.

A second donation in California, to be announced this year, will assist a Route 66 support group's effort to restore portions of the historic highway in the Mojave Desert and to install directional signs and historic markers along that portion of the route. Porsche executives will not say how much they have dedicated to Cayenne Crossing, but it is expected to be a multimillion- dollar program.

The initial grant, announced Tuesday in ceremonies at the foot of Clark's Grade, will fund a three-year effort by volunteers with the nonprofit San Bernardino National Forest Assn. to repair the steep six-mile dirt track that began as a trail for pack mules in 1860. These days it is used by off-road driving enthusiasts but has been severely compromised by erosion.

"We call it a challenging four-wheel-drive trail," said Kris Assel, executive director of the forest preservation group.

Clark's Grade was opened in 1860 by rancher Hiram Clark as a way to get supplies from the Redlands area to miners working in Holcomb Canyon in the San Bernardino Mountains. The canyon, site of Southern California's largest gold rush, is just north of modern-day Big Bear Lake.

Clark's mule trail followed a steep series of switchbacks originally tramped out as a footpath in 1845 by explorer Benjamin Wilson, who climbed up from the Santa Ana River at the foot of the mountains behind Redlands.

Wilson found a deep valley when he crested the mountains and, after spotting many grizzlies, called it Bear Valley.

The valley then had only one natural lake, at its east end (now called Baldwin Lake), and remained unpopulated for decades. It was ignored even during the gold rush, when by 1866 there were 1,500 miners living in nearby Holcomb Canyon, said valley historian Tom Core.

And though busy, Clark's Grade "was just a crude mule trail that remained a trail until the 1890s, after the dam was built," Core said, and the valley floor was flooded to create what now is called Big Bear Lake.

Bear Valley was dammed in 1884 by Redlands land speculators who had found that oranges grew quite well in the area. They wanted to create a mountain reservoir to supply water so they could sell the otherwise-arid land for commercial groves.

The resulting lake initially was called Bear Valley Reservoir, then Pine Lake and Bear Lake. It finally became Big Bear Lake in the late 1890s because developers farther down the mountain had created a smaller lake they called Little Bear, which later became Lake Arrowhead.

After the reservoir formed and fish began breeding in it, the area was discovered by lowlanders and became a popular, though hard-to-get-to, retreat for visitors from Redlands, San Bernardino and even as far away as Upland and the eastern edges of Los Angeles, Core said.

The first automobile road into the area came up from Running Springs to Fawnskin in 1885. The valley got its first hotel in 1894, Core said, "and has been a resort area ever since."

To help boost tourism, a group of speculators formed the Bear Valley Wagon Road Co. in the early 1890s, he said, and turned the Clark's Grade mule track into a one-lane dirt road that could be traversed by automobile to pro- vide a second route into the val- ley.

Because the road was only one lane and quite steep, traffic up and down the grade alternated.

A group would form at the bottom of the grade and the road would be opened to let them drive up, while a group of travelers leaving the valley would form and wait at the head of the trail, Core said. The last car in the upward group was given a flag, and when the driver arrived in the valley, he would hand the flag to the driver of the last car waiting in line to go down and the direction of travel would reverse.

"They had to do it that way because there were almost no places to pass, and it was so steep you didn't want to get caught heading in the wrong direction and have to back up," Core said.

Although an asphalt road from San Bernardino into the valley was built in 1924, Clark's Grade remained a popular secondary route until the 1930s, and it has never been abandoned.

"But it's in terrible shape today," Core said. "I lead tours up here and used to take groups down the grade, but the last time I did it, about three years ago, one car burned up its brakes and I decided it had deteriorated too much to do group travel anymore."

Assel said her foundation's volunteers spend hundreds of hours a year keeping fast-growing brush cut back along the edges of Clark's Grade but have not had the money for other maintenance.

With the Cayenne Crossing grant, the forest association will be able to provide funds to the U.S. Forest Service for grading and other repairs on the road, Assel said.

Some of the funding also will be used to prepare and install directional and informational signs along the route.

"The support from Porsche will enable us to do a lot of postponed maintenance," she said. "It will remain a four-wheel-drive route, but we'll be filling in eroded ruts, shoring up crumbling shoulders and making sure this historic route can remain open for the public to enjoy."
Old 05-30-2002, 10:59 AM

Here is a link for the Press Release about the program. Very interesting stuff.http://www3.us.porsche.com/english/n...ses/020306.htm

This is an excerpt:

Quote:
In anticipation of the Cayenne's arrival, PCNA recently launched the Cayenne Crossing Initiative, a multi-year program designed to reclaim America's paved and unpaved roads. Chaired by actor James Brolin, the program will include a variety of U.S. road restoration and maintenance projects along a route that stretches from coast to coast.

Cayenne Crossing Initiative partners will include Treadlightly!, the Illinois Department of Transportation, the San Bernardino National Forest Association and the Porsche Club of America. Initial restoration efforts will begin this summer in California's San Bernardino National Forest and Virginia's George Washington National Forest.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:35 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Thanks Kevin,

Frank