Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2003, 09:20 AM

Can a viair or quick air mount under hood on 01 TJ

After reading through all the great responses and suggestions, I have decided to go with a viair (400 or 450) or quick air 2 compressor. The CO2 tanks sound great but I do not want to hassle with refills and storage. Since there is little to no cargo space in the Jeep I would prefer an under the hood mount for the compressor, however, looking under there last night there seems to be very little space to mount the compressor. The obvious spot I saw was the mounting bracket on the rear driver side of the engine compartment. However, measuring this spot it appeared not to be able to fit either compressor (some brake parts directly above plate limit size and access) Was anyone able to hard mount a viair or quick air under the hood or else where on a TJ, if so where and how would be very usful. I am waiting for replys before I go ahead and order the portable unit. Cheers, Jill
Old 09-17-2003, 09:49 AM

I have a 98 auto and no abs and my QA2 fits in there fine although it took some finaggling ot get it in.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:30 AM

Talk to Sean, he has one. (Higlet).
Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 AM

Here's another option.......
[old picture] /box2/image45.jpg
[old picture] /box2/image47.jpg
Old 09-17-2003, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the great pictures Hellbender! I'll check it out and make sure I can mount there. I knew I would get some great suggetions! Thanks.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:58 AM

Jill, if you have gone to an aftermarket air box, or relocated your stock one, you should have a HUGE mounting spot for one..

I put in an extreme outback extremeair compressor under the hood of my V8 Zj and its alot tighter in there than the TJ..

there are a few companies that make prefabbed mounting plates for that airbox location.

turbo city makes one as does I believe Currie..
Old 09-17-2003, 11:07 AM

Papromike, I still have the stock airbox on so no option for that space. If your last comment was intended to imply that I mount the compressor to the frame under the engine, I would prefer to avoid this low exposed area due to mud and water getting in there. I think I brought half of Utah dirt home on the lower frame. Jill
Old 09-17-2003, 11:17 AM

Put it under the brake stuff on that tray down there (Jerry - what is that tray for )

That is where most of us mount our ARB compressors for our lockers.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2003, 01:52 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Mine is a '97, so I'm not sure if you have the same space. I put my...Viair here

I had a local fabricator weld up a bracket so I had a flat and level mounting base.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Put it under the brake stuff on that tray down there (Jerry - what is that tray for )
Heh, some guys are fortunate to have such good memories.

Too bad a QuickAir III is so danged big Jill, I'd recommend it over the QuickAir II you're asking about. The QuickAir III pumps some serious air volume which would make quick work of refilling tires. However, I've seen one and it's pretty big... I just can't figure out where it could be mounted inside an engine compartment.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Heh, some guys are fortunate to have such good memories.

Too bad a QuickAir III is so danged big Jill, I'd recommend it over the QuickAir II you're asking about. The QuickAir III pumps some serious air volume which would make quick work of refilling tires. However, I've seen one and it's pretty big... I just can't figure out where it could be mounted inside an engine compartment.
I keep my QA III behind the back seat and just clip it on the battery (good battery) when I'm ready to use it. But I am still thinking about a good underhood install.