Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-15-2007, 08:48 AM

$1000 for 32RH and the parts I need?

I found a junkyard that has offered to sell the below to me for a flat $1,000.

-32RH automatic transmission from 97/98 4.0L TJ
-kick-down cable & associated throttle body bracket
-Automatic style (wider) brake pedal
-ECM (engine computer)
-Shifter
-Shifter plate for console

That list is what I came up with and sent him asking for the quote. Is there anything I'm missing?

It has 62,000 miles on it and the tranny does have the torque converter.

Sound ok?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

You may want to verify the shifter includes the shifter cable (since it is not listed but the TV cable is).

See if you can get them to throw in the tranny cooler lines. Depending on how you plan on cooling the tranny, they may or may not be used.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Re: $1000 for 32RH and the parts I need?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
I found a junkyard that has offered to sell the below to me for a flat $1,000.

-32RH automatic transmission from 97/98 4.0L TJ
-kick-down cable & associated throttle body bracket
-Automatic style (wider) brake pedal
-ECM (engine computer)
-Shifter
-Shifter plate for console

That list is what I came up with and sent him asking for the quote. Is there anything I'm missing?

It has 62,000 miles on it and the tranny does have the torque converter.

Sound ok?
Sounds about right. I recommend you swap in a radiator for the Auto and come and get the 97 ECM for an auto I have as well as the pair of tranny cooler lines. We'll call it even on the ram assist.

But, you only get the ECM if you use the radiator.

Oh, and you have to take pictures.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Hey awesome Blaine, thank you. Let me see if I can make this work. The stuff has to be shipped to me, I hope it's not going to be a bunch of rusty junk.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 AM

Don't forget the flexplate, the inspection cover, the plate for the floor pan/tunnel....

You might want to PM Fred (StealthTJ) - I know he had a detailed list of all the stuff he needed when we swapped his, and he may still have the info. There were a few unanticipated items that left us waiting for parts, so if you can have everything on hand before starting it'll be much easier.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-15-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks Dan, I'll PM Fred. Thanks for those other three items that would have been sorely missed.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:33 PM

No problem. A few other parts I just thought of are the plugs for the backup light switch and lockup converter. I think Fred was able to get those from the dealer.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Thanks for those added parts Dan. I added those the parts list for where I'm getting the tranny from, Davey's Jeeps which after a little online research, looks to be a good solid provider of Jeep parts.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Would you post or PM me with the info for Davey's? An auto swap is on the wish list for my Jeep, too, and if they turn out to be a reputable company it might save a ton of headaches.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-15-2007, 06:42 PM

You will need a new inspection plate (is that what's it called)...also you will need shorter bolts for the flex plate compared to the fly wheel...what about a transfer case shifter...the standard and auto are diffferent

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 09-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cutch
You will need a new inspection plate (is that what's it called)...also you will need shorter bolts for the flex plate compared to the fly wheel...what about a transfer case shifter...the standard and auto are diffferent
Is the shifter different or just the bracket on the front of the tranny adapter under the tub?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanB98TJ
Would you post or PM me with the info for Davey's? An auto swap is on the wish list for my Jeep, too, and if they turn out to be a reputable company it might save a ton of headaches.
It's at http://www.daveysjeeps.com/

Wow I just got the estimated shipping charges, they think it'll be pretty close to $400. I'm going to look harder for a closer Jeep specialty recycler since it turns out Davey's is in Ohio. I know there are a couple out closer to the desert. If I can't find what I need closer, I'll still go with Davey's since at least he's been responsive.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It's at http://www.daveysjeeps.com/

Wow I just got the estimated shipping charges, they think it'll be pretty close to $400. I'm going to look harder for a closer Jeep specialty recycler since it turns out Davey's is in Ohio. I know there are a couple out closer to the desert. If I can't find what I need closer, I'll still go with Davey's since at least he's been responsive.
Have them look at shrink wrapping the whole mess down to a pallet and using Forward Air. Should run about 150 or less that way.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Good idea Blaine, I'll do that if these other two closer Jeep yards don't have the list of items I faxed them. One is J&W in Antelope, the other is Scotty's in Fontana. If J&W or Scotty's has what I need, I'll just drive up there to get the parts.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the link, Jerry. Shipping charges are outrageous. Maybe you can find the transmission itself locally, then pick up all the extra parts from Davey's to save shipping costs?

Regarding the TC linkage, I know the rod is a different length, but can't remember if it was longer or shorter...just recall Fred having to cut and weld it. He used the AA bracket when we did the swap, so I don't know if the factory bracket is different between the auto and manual.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DanB98TJ
Thanks for the link, Jerry. Shipping charges are outrageous. Maybe you can find the transmission itself locally, then pick up all the extra parts from Davey's to save shipping costs?

Regarding the TC linkage, I know the rod is a different length, but can't remember if it was longer or shorter...just recall Fred having to cut and weld it. He used the AA bracket when we did the swap, so I don't know if the factory bracket is different between the auto and manual.
The bracket for the bellcrank is different with one being longer than the other between the auto and manual. That one I know for sure because I've had both side by side before.

I just don't know if actual shifter is different.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 AM

Jerry,
Not to change subjects, but I have a question. Why wouldn’t you just do the AW4 swap?

FYI, I did the TF 999, and am now going to the AW4.
My motor doesn’t like running at 3400rpm on the highway.

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce David
Jerry,
Not to change subjects, but I have a question. Why wouldn't you just do the AW4 swap?
I'd love the AW-4 but installing it is more than I want to tackle and the nearly $3,000 price quote I recently obtained is too much if I had it installed for me.

My TJ is no longer the daily driver it was so it's more of a weekend and trail machine so the RPMs won't be as big of an issue as it was before we bought another car for my wife. I got stuck with the Toyota while the son got the wife's Grand Cherokee.

I'm hoping to get answers back from J&W's & Scotty's (both in SOCAL) today, I faxed them a list of the 32RH parts I need.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 AM

Jerry,
I think I have all the parts you need for that conversion. Low miles.
Call me. (951)277-1037

John
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JLemieux
Jerry,
I think I have all the parts you need for that conversion. Low miles.
Call me. (951)277-1037

John
30 seconds after John posted this I was on the phone with him. This sounds like a done deal, thanks John!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Quote:
I'd love the AW-4 but installing it is more than I want to tackle and the nearly $3,000 price quote I recently obtained is too much if I had it installed for me.

My TJ is no longer the daily driver it was so it's more of a weekend and trail machine so the RPMs won't be as big of an issue as it was before we bought another car for my wife. I got stuck with the Toyota while the son got the wife's Grand Cherokee.

I'm hoping to get answers back from J&W's & Scotty's (both in SOCAL) today, I faxed them a list of the 32RH parts I need.
I need some sucker friends like you. Did one with a friend for under a grand. Course, it was on a coal cart and we did the work. Not looking to get started on any new projects myself either
Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chef Not looking to get started on any new projects myself either
That's the real issue, hell my hands got cut and beat up big time this weekend just on minor house stuff. This new 3-speed tranny project will be more than big enough as is.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
30 seconds after John posted this I was on the phone with him. This sounds like a done deal, thanks John!
Thank you John! This five year saga may be finally realized!

Jerry, your son gets the Jeep and you the leftovers? It is time to start flexing some muscle around there.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Jerry, your son gets the Jeep and you the leftovers? It is time to start flexing some muscle around there.
How do you think the son got the Grand Cherokee and I got stuck with the Toyota. He's not quite 17 and benchpressing 265.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
How do you think the son got the Grand Cherokee and I got stuck with the Toyota. He's not quite 17 and benchpressing 265.
My father towered over his father. Realizing this, gramps told him 'do as he says or hit the road'. He may benchpress 265 but you benchpress the wallet.

Good luck on the tranny swap.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
My father towered over his father. Realizing this, gramps told him 'do as he says or hit the road'. He may benchpress 265 but you benchpress the wallet.
Heh yep and of course he still believes that I can still kick his young a$$. My saying that he knows well by now is "youth, stamina and vigor are no matches for experience, treachery, and ruthlessness".

He got the GC only because he's a pretty good kid and I didn't mind either way. Compared to the TJ, the Toyota is like a Lexus to me anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Quote:
That's the real issue, hell my hands got cut and beat up big time this weekend just on minor house stuff. This new 3-speed tranny project will be more than big enough as is.
Well in that case, may you never win a "free" tube chassis. You'll have more burns, cuts, smashed fingers and bruises than you'll know what to do with.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:46 AM

Well I'm glad John Lemieux piped in, he made me a super deal on everything including a very lightly used low-mileage transmission. Thanks John.

Now for everyone else, wasn't it Hillary Clinton that said it takes a village to get Jerry's Jeep converted to an automatic?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Now for everyone else, wasn't it Hillary Clinton that said it takes a village to get Jerry's Jeep converted to an automatic?
LOL, but you only bought the transmission. Is John doing the install or should we gather another village?

Either way, congrats on the purchase Jerry.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence
LOL, but you only bought the transmission. Is John doing the install or should we gather another village?
Um John, that price we agreed on included installation right? J/k, no he's not, I'll be doing it. It shouldn't be too bad at all, I think John has included all but a few very small parts like the electrical plug for the lockup converter I have to start looking for.