Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Reggae

What's the deal with auto stores prices?

Went to NAPA to buy some parts. They charged me $64.95 plus tax. I was like, "damn, those things are expensive". So I decided to check prices on the Internet - $11.80 plus shipping for the same thing.

So, what's the dealeo with auto parts? Just don't buy from local stores, or what's the right way to get auto parts for fair prices?
Old 06-18-2004, 11:24 AM

Always check the 'net first. I've made the same mistake, and now make it a habit to print out the internet pricing and take it with me. If the counter monkey isn't willing to match the price, the manager is usually more receptive.

Some stores (AutoZone, Checker, etc) allow you to purchase online and pick up the items instead of having them shipped. Makes it nice if you need the part right away.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-19-2004, 09:17 AM

Everybody's out to make a buck.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Re: What's the deal with auto stores prices?

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
So, what's the dealeo with auto parts? Just don't buy from local stores, or what's the right way to get auto parts for fair prices?

Not all parts are made equal. Be sure you're comparing the same exact mfg/model to the online part.

Further, if I don't think a price is "fair", I'll usually haggle for a better price. If I don't get it, they don't get my money.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Reggae

I am going to stick it to the NAPA this time. I am filing a Best Value Guarantee case with the credit card company. Overcharging walk in customers, because they don't know the fair price of items is not cool.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:00 PM

I don't deal with my napa much anymore since the time they tried to stick me for $329 for a set of d30 ball joints. I walked out, went to pepboys and paid $140 for a set of 4 dana spicer joints. that's bs by napa in my book.

the only thing I have bought since are 2 trailer lights and an air filter. they won't be ever getting much of money again after that ball joint situation.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I am going to stick it to the NAPA this time. I am filing a Best Value Guarantee case with the credit card company. Overcharging walk in customers, because they don't know the fair price of items is not cool.
Why don't you put some armor on your truck and drive through their store?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Ack! You've been Americanized. Did you get pictures of the perp holding the gun to your head and forcing you to buy the part?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Reggae

I wanted to buy the part, that's not a problem. My complaint is about overcharging.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I wanted to buy the part, that's not a problem. My complaint is about overcharging.
.......welcome to capitalism
Old 06-21-2004, 10:59 AM

That pesky supply/demand thing rearing it's ugly head.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Reggae

Does the term "consumer rights" mean anything to you?

Because if not, I'd like to sell you a time-share in Florida. It's wonderful - you will love it.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:00 PM

Sure, the most base consumer right: To *not* buy it!
Old 06-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Reggae

You are missing the point.

They are overcharging the customers who don't know what the fair price of items is. They are capitalizing on customers who are unaware of the fair prices. If a customer knew that the widget price was $12, the customer wouldn't pay $65 for it. The customer was lured to believe that $65 was the fair price for an item.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:17 PM

I'm not missing the point at all. Supply and demand dictate "fair pricing". The vendor (not some gov't agency or consumer advocacy board, capitalism baby!) determines the widget selling price. It' he's done his research, he's determined the highest price he can sell widgets for. If he cannot move widgets at that price he'll have to adjust. Of course, over-charging for widgets can come back to bite you; although you may get $65 once, if joe consumer finds out he was "unfairly charged" for the widget he may never come back, he may spread the word on BBSes and encourage others to steer clear, etc.
Some vendors honor competitors prices for up to n days after purchase, to help buy-back customers that find better deals after the sale.
Ignorance isn't bliss, and you shouldn't go looking for some consumer protection because you agreed to a price you later determined was too much.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett

Ignorance isn't bliss, and you shouldn't go looking for some consumer protection because you agreed to a price you later determined was too much.
Why not, if my credit card guarantees me that any purchase I make will be "best value", or they refund the difference, why shouldn't I use it?
Old 06-21-2004, 05:58 PM

Sergey, look at it this way... Internet pricing is lower because of the low overhead incurred by the selling organization. No storefront to have to pay rent for, no retail salesclerks, often just a 1 or 2 person operation.

Higher prices for retail sales are justified when those higher prices include immediate in-store availability, a chance to look it over and see it before buying it to make sure you're getting the right part, advice on the part if needed, and to pay the clerk's salary who is the guy that buys stuff from other local establishments that support the local economy.

Often, these Internet outfits are nothing but zero-inventory resellers that just do nothing more dropship from the manufacturer so they have almost no overhead. It's IMPOSSIBLE for a retail establishment to provide the convenience of stocked parts for you while competing against Joe's Online bedroom operation.

If you want the convenience of being able to go to your local parts store at 8:30 pm to get that 3/16" grabizzoner gasket or whatever, it's going to cost more, it HAS to cost more. Convenience, immediate delivery, easy returns, someone to show you the part, etc. has its price.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Why not, if my credit card guarantees me that any purchase I make will be "best value", or they refund the difference, why shouldn't I use it?
So you're really sticking it to your credit card company instead.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
So you're really sticking it to your credit card company instead.
I guess, if you consider "sticking it to them" to mean require them to live up to their contract.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Reggae

No, I am sticking it to the parts store through the credit card company. When you accept credit cards, you agree to a whole bunch of terms from the credit card company. I don't have the details in the top of my head, but trust me, it's not the credit card company who eats the difference, it's the merchant. There will most likely be some additional fees too.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
No, I am sticking it to the parts store through the credit card company. When you accept credit cards, you agree to a whole bunch of terms from the credit card company. I don't have the details in the top of my head, but trust me, it's not the credit card company who eats the difference, it's the merchant. There will most likely be some additional fees too.
You're correct in that they do accept those terms, but they don't do this with every little credit card company that comes along. The credit card company has no say on what they charge, so that is on their dime. Just like them offering a longer warranty on a part then the store offers if you use their card. It's the credit card company that eats the price of the repair.
Now this being the case don't be surprised for this to get you little to no compensation. They're not likely to compare an internet price to a retail price, more likely they're going to compare it to other retail locations.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:44 AM

Quote:
If I open a retail store I will be treating my customers fairly, and not look for suckers whom I could stick with ridiculously high prices.
Now, if the price you paid were "ridiculously high", would you really have purchased the part at that time?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to jeepik
Remembering the motherland way too much Sergei????

if you were a smart consumer you woudl have bought the thing online..end of story.

Napa is a business and they are out there to make money, not to make you happy!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
Now, if the price you paid were "ridiculously high", would you really have purchased the part at that time?
If I knew that the price was too high I would not purchase the part at the time. I was led to believe that I was paying a fair price.

I was an ill informed consumer. And the only reason they made the sale is because I didn't know better.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:00 AM

Sounds like Buyers Remorse to me. So take the parts back to the store and buy them online.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepik
if you were a smart consumer you woudl have bought the thing online..end of story.
Kind of funny how the thread progressed, isn't it? All I asked in the beginning was on what is the right way to get auto parts for fair price.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:02 AM

I know, I know.

Don't shop at Napa or the dealership for your parts.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I was an ill informed consumer.
Dont forget you also paid a bit of a premium for convinience. you got the part right away at Napa, where as online you would have to wait a couple of days minimum.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Kind of funny how the thread progressed, isn't it? All I asked in the beginning was on what is the right way to get auto parts for fair price.
i think a lot of people are laughing, me included

you answered your own question.

you have two choice

1.) buy at napa and dispute with credit card company
2.) buy online

personally i'd like you to actually go forward with choice one, it will make a very interesting story
Old 06-22-2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:
If I knew that the price was too high I would not purchase the part at the time. I was led to believe that I was paying a fair price.

I was an ill informed consumer. And the only reason they made the sale is because I didn't know better.
So you were happy with the price until you found out you could get the part much cheaper. I don't see a problem.

To your question about what's the deal...
It's pretty common knowledge that some parts stores are more expensive than others, Napa for example. Napa supposedly tries to set itself apart from the autosupermarkets with knowledgeable staff, excellent service, and quality parts. Personal experience with my local Napa stores has proven otherwise: Knowledge, of any particular thing, does not appear to be a hiring requisite, service is an afterthouht, and the prices can be beat anywhere. I use Napa as a last resort, after Allied, Kragen, Autozone, and The Parts House- when I need a part that I can't wait for online purchase/ shipping.